Do you want to change how scientists approach basic and clinical life science research and how pharmaceutical companies develop cures for disease? Sage Bionetworks is a medical research organization dedicated to building advanced predictive models of human disease. Our primary objectives are two-fold: to build and support an open access platform and databases for building innovative disease models; and to interconnect scientists as contributors to evolving, integrated networks of biological data. See our recent feature in the Seattle Times for more information.
We currently have an opening for a Senior Software Engineer on the team responsible for the design, creation, testing, and deployment of the Synapse software infrastructure. The Synapse system will provide scalable access to clinical genomics data and compute resources to scientists around the world. This is an opportunity to work on a software platform with significant impact on human health research, and to work in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. This position will focus on the development of Synapse’s client-side integrations, with data analysis tools like R and Python.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience building, shipping, and supporting commercial or academic software products with significant user bases. Proven experience developing new products in rapidly changing engineering environment strongly preferred.
- Versatile and strong programming skills with the ability to work with a variety of languages:
- Object-oriented languages with emphasis on Java
- Scripting languages including Python, Ruby, or Perl
- R, Matlab, or other mathematically focused languages
- Strong understanding of object oriented design and programming, and design patterns
- Experience developing software tools used by scientific user communities. Background in data analysis, machine learning, and statistics is highly beneficial. However, this position is a software-engineering focused position designed to develop tools and support a scientific user base, not a scientific research position.
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- Bioinformatics / genomics data and use cases
- Machine learning / statistics / data analysis
- Ability to rapidly assess and integrate new software technologies into a complete solution
- Experience with:
- N-tier enterprise software architectures
- Relational database systems and SQL
- Web Services
- Practical agile development lifecycle experience. Familiarity with software development tools (Eclipse, Jira Studio, Maven, Git etc.)
- Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic start-up environment
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask
- Experience with one or more of the following is desirable:
- Cloud Computing Infrastructures especially AWS, SaaS architectures
- Open source software development
Sage offers a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. To apply, please forward your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com.