The National Fire Protection Association’s mission is to help save lives and reduce loss with information, knowledge and passion. Dedicated to the elimination of death, injury, property and economic loss due to fire, electrical and related hazards, the Association delivers information and knowledge through more than 300 consensus codes and standards, research, training, education, outreach and advocacy; and by partnering with others who share an interest in furthering the NFPA mission.
NFPA’s Data Analytics team is looking for Data Collection and Research Manager to modernize our proprietary data collection efforts. For nearly half a century, NFPA has gathered annual information from around 30,000 fire departments across the United States. That data is the foundation for research and analysis on national fire risks and is used extensively not only by NFPA but also government agencies, the private sector, and academia. As fire departments across the country increasingly start to recognize and leverage the value of modern data analytics, NFPA’s goal to continue to drive the use of data to address the nation’s fire problem.
The Data Collection and Research Manager will serve as NFPA’s point person both in managing these nationally-respected programs and in updating them to take advantage of technical and methodological advances. This manager will work with colleagues within NFPA and data-oriented leaders across the nation’s fire service to ensure that our proprietary data collection programs continue to help achieve NFPA’s mission of eliminating deaths, injuries, and losses due to fire. So if you have a passion for data and want to use your skills and experiences to help drive the value of data in the fire safety world, we would love to hear from you!
A Little Bit about You:
- You have a strong professional background in doing data-driven research and an interest in using data for the public good.
- You’ve previously held roles using some combination of data science, statistics, and survey methodologies.
- You have at least a bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years of experience.
- Not only do you know that real world data is often messy, but you also enjoy the challenge of finding the signal in the noise of complicated data.
- You also love the challenge of applying new methods and techniques to identify and overcome gaps in existing programs.
- Developing and communicating the story that data creates is just as important to you as is crunching the numbers
- You are skilled at manipulating and analyzing data with Python, R, KNIME, and/or SPSS and can turn data insights into data visualizations using platforms like Tableau.
- You have a solid working understanding of data architecture and database management and how to leverage this knowledge for applied research.
- You have at least seven years of related data experience and have spent some time enjoying managing people.
- You are positively curious and want to understand the mission and goals of NFPA, and how you can make an impact as part of our team.
- You own your role and take responsibility for your output, following through, and learn from your mistakes.
More information on the company’s careers portal.