About this Opportunity
Are you brilliant at validating business ideas with thoughtful statistical analyses? Do you delight in learning? Do you want to level-up your career with a blue chip organisation, while developing your big-picture understanding of business?
We are currently recruiting on behalf of our client, European Tyre Enterprise Limited.
We are the parent company of the Kwik-Fit Group and several other brands in the auto fast-fit and tyre retail sector. We also operate the leading UK tyre distribution business, Stapleton’s (Tyre Services) Ltd. With a combined turnover of nearly £1bn and a shareholder that has invested heavily for long-term growth, there is a great opportunity to deliver significant value within the business and redefine the sector. Our growing team develops data as a corporate asset to drive actionable insights and needs a data scientist well-versed in R and excel to take up an important role within the team.
- Salary £40k to £50k, depending on skills and experience
- Bonus Scheme: (10% KPIs and 5% stretch objectives)
- 1% employer contributory pension scheme (after 3 months service)
- 20 days annual leave (rising on a continuous service based scale to 30 pa),
- Private healthcare
- Provide strategic decision support with clearly quantifiable benefits for shareholders by translating commercial objectives into dynamic financial modelling solutions in excel and R on topics that require capital budgeting, pricing, linear optimisation, market segmentation, cost optimisation, financial scenario analysis, regression analysis and other statistical methods
- Design and deliver financial modelling solutions compliant with our modelling methodology, while further developing that methodology with the team
- Produce reports that are understandable to non-experts, enabling them to clarify thought and make better decisions
- Generate and version control an efficient and readable code base that can be followed by other R users
You will teach others in the Business Insight team how to apply insightful analyses. Most importantly you show a talent for asking the right questions that develop emerging analytical understandings.
This role will be expanding and you will develop and grow with it. You will have plenty of opportunities to learn.
- For you, doing the right thing is not just an empty slogan, but a recipe for professional development and fulfillment
- You apply your strong financial and analytical skills to draw valid conclusions from raw data, descriptive analysis and significance testing
- You can apply test conclusions to a realistic set of recommendations for change
- You are relentlessly curious — and are not afraid to continue asking “why”
- You delight in learning — you know that there are usually better solutions. You are always looking for these and take energy from this practice
- You are highly numerate and skilled in both R and Excel. You take pride in using them to enable colleagues understand issues and make better business decisions
In your first 6 months you will have
- Generated solutions with significant financial benefits for the Group
- A clear picture of where to find relevant data for solving commercial problems
- Good relationships with all the people you have worked with
- Learned several new skill-sets in data analytics
- Taught team members many topics within R and Excel
- Translated insights from your code and modelling into stories that created tangible results across several business units
You will need to
- Work closely with the Business Insights team to understand the necessary analyses
- Analyse a wide range of data sets, both internal and external
- Design and deliver scripts in R; ensure their sustainability in use by others
- Collaborate with colleagues to transform our potential into performance
- Research and expand your role into analytics for big data
Steps in the recruitment process
This is an important appointment for us and we treat finding new members to join our team with the utmost importance. For us to get the right person for this role, it also has to be the right role for you. To help determine this fit we have put together two tasks that are representative of the likely work you would do in this role.
If you enjoy and are good at these example tasks, it is likely you will enjoy being part of our team.
There are several steps in this process:
- Complete task one on this application form, we will come back to you within 72hrs of receiving your submission. The closing date is 30th November so please get your answers in soon.
- If you are successful we will send you a second task to consider. This task is a simplification of a piece of work that is currently being handled in our team
- If you are successful, you will be offered a telephone interview
- If you are shortlisted you will be invited to attend a face to face final interview at our offices in Letchworth
Please complete our application form here if you would like to apply for the role: